Tuesday, September 4, 2007

First day of school

The Missus started Naoinra (pre-school in the Gealtacht) yesterday. She was horrified with her clothes "I'm not wearing this. Where's my nuniform?" (Not a typo!) We get there still full of the joys of "going to school like my brother" but it doesn't take long for reality to kick in. Momma's not staying. I have never in my life heard screams like it. They are very good in her Naoinra in that they discourage parents to hang around. It just prolongs the agony on both sides. I knew she'd be fine when I left, but still.....
Mags, (you all know her as the "new neighbour"!) came up with me and she drove me back to the vilage (in my car, I couldn't see, had something in my eye....) where we met another distraught Momma who left her screaming child in the same place (who only started crying when she heard mine crying....) We went for coffee where myself and other distraught Momma sat and watched our watches, the clock on the wall, our mobile phones....etc. My sis rang during this coffee and I checked with her that my watch was right. They are only in for an hour this week but yesterday morning was the longest of my life.
I was there promptly on time to pick her up and waited for her to come screaming out the door into my arms. No. I had to go in and prise her away from the table.
Today she was skipping in to meet her "team"? (I hope this isn't baby talk for "gang"...) when she turned and asked "Are you coming in Momma?" She was whisked away by one of the teachers to see the "babies". She never gives dolls names, they are all her "babies". Anyways, with a wink from the teacher and a swift retreat from me, today went well. So well in fact, that she didn't want to come home again today. I was the first Mom in line so her name was called first. We were the last to leave. Hmmmm.....not sure what to make of this. Will keep ye updated on any progress.

Cathal did "nothing" at school, as usual.....









Forgot to mention that she insisted on wearing her "Space Boots" instead of the lovely black patent Barbie shoes I bought her. I've decided to pick my battles! Space boots I can live with....

5 comments:

Tigger's rambling said...

I know exactly how you feel and believe me she will get used to it way faster then you.....by the way she is soooooooo cute looking :-)

Mandy said...

Sounds so familar! Sophie never wants to come home, and james too does "nothing" in school!
She looks like an angel on a mission!

Audrey said...

she is soooo cute!

gertie (aka aine) said...

hey, space boots are cool!!!
glad she is enjoying it.
watch out for that team though!! LOL

JACKIE M said...

She is sooo cute and a great poser for the photos LOL