Friday, June 6, 2008

Each day a new dawn....

I know, I know, it's been ages sice I've blogged but there has been so much happening here. Well Cathal made his First Communion and didn't burst into flames on the alter (I think that will stand to him Later On IYKWIM!) That day was a great day for so many reasons. Obviously, as Jerry puts it "There's 25 more of us today" but the day meant so much to me.
As ye know, my Mom and Dad split up 4 years ago. This day was the first day they had spoken since their break up. I wanted both my parents and Cathals grandparents there. I was so glad they could pull it together for his big day. I think they enjoyed each others company for the first time in a long time. These things happen.

Then last week Dad got Lifeboated off the Aran Islands (where he lives now) in tremendous pain. They were going to biopsy his lymphnodes this week but after scans, x-rays, who knows what, thay decided on Tuesday evening that they were operating on Wednesday morning to remove the tumour and as many lymphnodes as they could.
When I visited him in ICU last night he said "They got the big bastard, now let them shoot the little fuckers"! He was talking about the chemo getting anything left in the lymphnodes.
It was heartbreaking seeing my Dad lying there out of it. The first time I saw him wink at the nurse I thought he was twitching, the second time I thought "He's gonna be fine"!
By the time I left there I'd gone from "What the hell is he on about" to pissing myself laughing at his jokes! "Cosuil le Lachin i" You had to see the hand movements!!
Apart from that things have been very drab. My poor Cathal is sick. Spicking temp and not feeling well. Oh the joys of parenting! He missed getting an award he won for an Irish story he wrote, last night. (But Aisling accepted it for him, thank you Ais!) And he missed today's Sports Day at school (which should have been last Friday, but it pissed out of the heavens that day here)

We finally got to meet Cowgirl Neeb! Leah was one happy little cowgirl. We went to Aran and did the tourist thing. Took the tour, climbed up to Dun Aengus, took loads of photos etc etc. Leah was like a little limpet on Niamh all day. I think Kevin was feeling a little left out. Had a great weekend with them and can't wait for them to visit again. Might stay on dry land this time, who knows?!!!

Between this, that and t'other, it's been business as usual......











2 comments:

Elisa said...

Congratulations on your big day, Cathal! And Leah looks gorgeous!

Mandy said...

Cathal looks very dapper in his big boy suit, and leah looks gorgeous!! So glad to here your dad is fighting fit and laughing after his op, he sounds so funny!! Woo hoo to Neasa's dad for fighting!!